Think the online dating profile pictures you use online don’t make a difference? Think again.
Online Dating Profile Pictures Summary:
- Choose wisely. Your profile photos tell one part of your story.
- The online dating profile pictures you use make a difference on the type of matches that swipe on you.
- Remember, your online dating profile photos are an extension of you and your personality, so they must be well thought out and not left to chance if you’re looking for that special someone.
- Ready to meet your match? Join Incredible Connections and let’s see who we have for you.
[The following is the full transcript of this video.]
Science has discovered that people make their first impression of you within 100 milliseconds (that’s 0.1 of a second) of seeing your photo… so you can’t afford to waste the first shot you get with anything less than a polished and authentic impression to ensure you get that next date.
Approach your online dating profile as your lead-in to making a new connection. Use images of you that enhance (versus distract from) your personal description and the story you’re writing about yourself.
So what’s the secret to landing that next date? It’s simple and can be summed up with an easy-to-remember profile goal: show, don’t tell.
When you show someone who you are and what you’re about, it can cause the release of oxytocin (the love and bonding hormone) in that person. Interestingly, 9 out of 10 times you may not always remember what you read about someone, but you will remember how a person (even through a photograph) makes you feel.
Here are the 3 must-have online dating profile photos:
Type #1: Pose using open body language
According to research, photos with full-body poses displaying open body language build instant trust, likeability, and showcase that you’re available and open to a relationship. Use pictures where your torso, head, and toes are aimed towards the camera. Avoid using photos where you’re wearing sunglasses or hats that obscure or hide your eyes. Humans use eye gaze (even in pictures) to feel connected to someone.
Type #2: Feature your face
Want to be more attractive to matches? Simple. Use pictures on your online dating profile where you’re forward facing the camera and not looking away from it because it’s a subconscious cue that displays respect non-verbally.
Oh, and just in case you’re wondering whether you should smile or not… Here’s the scoop:
- Women should smile big on pictures; it’s found to be more attractive and approachable. Ladies, avoid closed smile pictures because it creates the opposite effect of attraction.
- Now for the fellas. Pictures where a man has a neutral face or looking off to the side of the camera get better results than a big smile.
Type #3: Showcase hobbies
The photos you use on your online dating profile are meant to add to your narrative, so using photos that have a background story such as a vacation photo, competitive sports, or hobbies will add to how attractive you appear online. Another perk of using images that showcase your interest and lifestyle is that they’re great conversation starters and can make it a no-brainer for that potential match to swipe right.
Practice Makes It Easier
Unless you’re a professional model, chances are you’re going to be a little nervous around the camera if you’re trying to land these money shots. A great way to make optimizing your online dating profile photo easier for you is to consider working with a professional photographer. If working with a professional isn’t in the cards, grab some of your closest friends and create your own photo shoot!
Remember, your online dating profile photos are an extension of you and your personality, so they must be well thought out and not left to chance if you’re looking for that special someone.